Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Trip to Egypt, A Visual Essay

(Note: Yes, I'm way behind, my apologies. Since I'm now in Egypt, I'm jumping over the time in Italy, basically to let me family know that I'm surviving. I will be going back to update the Europe part of the trip.)

A picture essay of my trip to Cairo.

Evidently, people are still using Telegrams in Italy.



There was a service where for 8 Euro ($12US) you could have your bag wrapped with green plastic wrap. I'm not sure why, the bags that looked like they were getting wrapped were not old or falling apart. Maybe to keep your bag clean?












I love that in Europe you see ads with movie stars who would never lower themselves to doing ads in the States.



Lunch at Heathrow. Ploughman's lunch with Pimms and lemonade. (I know my Mom and aunt are jealous.)





Little Shopping.


Finally on the plane.








This was one of the best lamb dishes I've ever had. (I'm sure after 5 weeks in Egypt, I'll have better lamb, but this was amazing for airplane food!)




On the back of the seat, there was your little TV screen, where you can watch different videos or tv shows, or check the electronic map to see how much farther to go.






In the Cairo Airport. (Ok, I didn't take too many photos, it was after midnight, there were a lot of armed guards, and I didn't want to piss anyone off.)



It was after 2 in the morning once we got though customs, found our tour bus and got to the hotel. Our room was 402. (On the 14th floor). The plaque on the doors had both the arabic symbols and numerals, so off we went. We found 401, 403, 404, 405, 406... etc. No 402. I felt like Harry Potter looking for a train station that didn't exist to muggles. We went back down to the reception. "We can't find 402." The porter looked at us like we were crazy. Back up we went, with him. He pointed at room 403, "There." "No, our number is 402." Thankfully our program director was there, "It says 402 in Arabic, even though the number is 403." Oh - of course.



No this is not a bad photo. It really is that yellow.


Here we go.

No comments: