Thursday, July 10, 2008

On my own in El Arish

We had some time in the morning before we returned to Cairo. I decided to go for a walk with my camera. I walked down the main drag which runs parallel with the coast.

A painted-tile mural:

Sheesha pipes outside a café:
I then turned left, away from the hotels and into the town. With my very limited Arabic and charades, I was able to take some photos of the locals.

A customer, a baker and a construction worker:

A bookstore sign. (No, my Arabic is not that good! Selma told me what this said.)

The man was spreading the bread out on to the low block wall. (Yes, that is a Nike hat he is wearing.)

When I asked this man if I could take his photo, he said “Yes, I love America,” and raised his bottle above his head. Maybe he wanted to look like the Statue of Liberty? I have no clue.

When I first walked by this bakery, the little boy (in the center) said “Hello” to me. I asked if I could take his photo and he said yes and ran inside the bakery. His older brother on the right ame out, pushed his brothers away and said to only take a photo of him. I shook my head "La!" (No!) and montioned to his brothers. He shrugged and allowed them in the photo.

I lovd getting out of the tourist area and really see how people live. They were as intrested in me, as I was them. Many saw me and said "Hello! Welcome! I love America!"

No comments: