Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Great Pyramids

Our first true day sight-seeing was to the monument known the world over, the Great Pyramids. First we went to the “oldest stone structure in the world,” the Stepped Pyramids of Djoser.

I love this photo Paul (from our group) took of me. He said, “I don’t know if you’ll like this, you look so tiny in this photo.” I told him I loved it, it’s hard to get a sense of scale when looking at large architecture.

We then went into a nearby tomb (no photos allowed, grr…). Our guide, Selma, showed how this tomb was unfinished. While the majority of the relief was complete; there were some uncompleted sections that were highlighted in red, such as the eyes of the oxen. Selma explained that the workshop master had made those red marks, so that the carvers would go back and complete them. Being a group of teachers, we loved the idea that we’re looking at the corrections of a “colleague” from 4,000 years ago.

By the time we stopped for lunch, it was after two o’clock when we got to the pyramids. Here are the obligatory photos:

What’s really at the pyramids, lots of tour buses:

It was really hot out, but what was even more brutal was the vendors. We were warned about them; just keep saying “La” which means “no” in Arabic. They were relentless. “Lady, you want camel ride?” “I take photo for you, no, let me take photo.” (They then would want a hefty tip for their “service.”) “Postcards?” Between the heat and the vendors, I really didn’t spend much time up close to the pyramids.

When we reached spot for a panoramic shot, some went on a camel ride. I know I promised my DH I would go, but I was too hot and tired. I did get a camel named Mickey to pose for me though.

Another camel got friendly with my room mate, Peggy.

No comments: