Monday, July 21, 2008

Break Down

Before I left for Luxor, I was getting a serious case of home-sickness. I was approaching week six of the trip, and missing the comforts of home. The idea of re-packing for the trip made me want to tear my hair out (we typically leave one bag in Cairo, with our souvenirs, extra clothes, etc, and take another bag with us). It wasn’t that I didn’t want to go to Luxor, more that I didn’t want to go anywhere – just let me stay put for the love of God! The constant change was grating on my nerves; which in itself surprised me as I always loved to travel. To break past this mental wall, I went for the culinary equivalent of an American security blanket – McDonald’s.
I ordered a Big Mac, with Fries and Soda.

What was surreal was that it tasted exactly the same from the States. If you had a Big Mac from the Denver sitting right next to one from Cairo, you couldn’t tell them apart. (I take that back, I bet the one from the States is bigger.) There are different menu items, such as a Chicken Big Mac, and a McArabia, a chicken pita:

(I have not had the McArabia, and it had gotten mixed review among our group; either they love it or hate it.) Another differnece? In Egypt, McDonald's delivers:

While the McDonald’s fix was comforting, that Big Mac sat in my stomach like a rock – just like at home.

No comments: