Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Crusing

After touring for so long, and buying the majority of our meals (and trying to stay on budget); being on the cruise felt decadent. Three full meals a day – plus tea-time! A pool! A gift-shop! A bar! But like every cruise, there is the somewhat goofy evening entertainment. The “highlight” was costume night, where we had to “dress-up” as an Egyptian. (I must say that this did bother me on some level. Is this not what the English did when they came to Egypt, the basis of Orientalism? Contrive a romantic notion of what Egyptians were, all the while as distancing themselves as being superior? Wasn’t the idea of this trip to understand a culture, not give a Western attitude of Egyptians being “the other”? Maybe I just think too much…)

So here I am on the Nile, in my Egyptian get-up. (That veil did not want to stay on my head; now I know why so many Muslim women use straight pins to keep them put.)

Here’s my roommate Peggy:

Dan and Kathryn looking good!

Now what do you do with a bunch of adults in costumes? Make them play silly games, of course, such as passing an empty water bottle around.

It certainly was touristy, but fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, the sunset is awesome! I can imagine myself in the sail boat during the sunset, the love of my life with a nice glass of wine from the area.

Christine said...

Unless that wine is from South Africa - fuggitabout! Egyptian wine is um... not good. >_< There are stories around that people used to die from the stuff, since the regulations were lax, and good Muslims don't drink.

We could do a Nile Cruise one day...