Friday, July 11, 2008

Question time

All right guys, this weekend I'll have internet access. So before I head to Luxor for the week (with questionable access), I want to hear from you. A shout out. A comment. A question. Stop lurking. I've got a little less than three weeks left of this trip and I need some interactions from home.

To get the ball rolling I've thought of some lists:

Top Five things I miss from the States (other than family or my dog)

1. My washer and drier. (Seriously, this doing laundry in the sink is getting old, and the hotel porters stop and count every piece before they take it to be washed. Ask my roommate how she liked her underthings being counted in the hotel lobby. Oh yes.)
2. Free and ample toilet paper at public restrooms. 'Nuff said.
3. My bed and pillow.
4. Wireless 24/7. I'm so out of touch with the rest of the world, it's not funny.
5. Mexican food. (I have stopped talking about all food from America, because it just makes me crave it even more. Do not talk to me about cookies.)

Top Five Things I miss about Europe: (This one is tough.)

1. Cappucino for breakfast in Italy.
2. Wine with dinner, pretty much every night.
3. Chruch bells ringing. In almost every place we stayed there was some type of church bell. For some reason I really liked them.
4. Really long, unrushed dinners.
5. Their public transportation. (Ok the trains in Italy weren't all that great, but they worked.)

Top Five Things I will miss about Egypt:

1. Fresh Mango Juice. (I've never tasted any better.)
2. Pitas and hummus. We get it almost every meal, and I eat it up.
3. Our tour guide, Selma. She's so smart and knows so much about people.
4. Snorkling in the Red Sea. I'm still amazed at what I saw.
5. The Egyptians themselves. Once you get past the lurkers and vendors, Egyptian people are very friendly. They are so happy to meet someone from America.

Your turn now - add your comments!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for allowing me to travel through Europe and Egypt vicariously through you. Your story of the hike up Mt. Sinai to watch the sunrise was absolutely amazing. God bless you on the remainder of your journey through Egypt...

Unknown said...

As the DH, I do get to talk to DW either via text message, instant message or cell... well that is if the call goes through! It seems as if the Egyptian phone network (and internet) is still evolving and leaves a lot to be desired.
While DW’s time in Egypt becomes shorter, DS and I are preparing for the trifecta again... We miss having DW/mom around but we are both envious of your trip of a life time. Today DW and I discuss the incredibly horrible living conditions she and the Egyptians have to live and/or take vacations. It really makes you appreciate the abundance of food, cleanliness of our streets and clothes and yes more importantly the toilet paper! I found it amazing that the Red Sea and how clear the water. It makes me want to try the scuba diving/snorkeling some time, but maybe not in Egypt.
So the 5 Top Things DS and I miss about you!
1. The ability to hold long conversations… (not saying that DS and I are not talking, but it is nice to have someone else to converse with besides DS and the dog)
2. Cooking great meals! I know you said not to mention food, but I have to make this exception! Don’t get me wrong, DS and I are doing ok, but as you know I am not much of a cook! I think for guys, we don’t put a lot of effort into creativity of our meals… so they tend to be rather repetitive.
3. Shopping… again this is not my favorite thing to do, however I have come to realize the challenges you face with so many choices… what is cheaper vs. what is healthy! I think that some countries have it a little easier the few choices, but quality products.
4. Your presence! It gets lonely around here when you’re the only one in the house. I have to admit, it is nice sleeping in the middle of the bed though!
5. Your smile! (and dimple)

Christine said...

Hey Jamie! Aww. *blushes* I'm glad you like my blog! I'm making a short powerpoint on how papyrus is made, I can send you a copy to use in your classes if you're interested.

DH - I've got two and a half more weeks, don't make me cry! :-) Love the list, I do miss cooking - but I really don't need to do it all the time. (hint, hint) I do miss talking with you too. Soon I'll be home and I'll have a lot to talk about!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing so many amazing stories!
It is interesting to me to hear the kinds of things that people on the street say to you. So far, "I love America" seems to be a sort of default... How about a list of the top five things people say to you or want to talk about with you or that you have overheard?

I'd also be interested in hearing about some of the the other scholars who are sharing this journey with you. What are their backgrounds? What have you learned from them?