Saturday, July 5, 2008

St. Katherine's Monastery

After the climb and desent of Mt. Sinai, we went back to the hotel, ate, showered and checked out of the hotel. We were now going to St. Katherine's Monastery, a Greek Orthodox Monastery which has been at this site since the 400's. The church has been there since Justinian's rule in the 500's. I've been teaching this World Art History I for years, and we looked at this extensively for the Byzantine Art Class. I was so excited.


Then two really sad things occured:


1) We were not allowed to take photos inside.


2) The Mosaics were covered with scaffolding and there was a POSTER of the mosaic hanging over it. (I think I just heard my Byzantine Art Class gasp.)


I'm glad the climb to Mount Sinai was successful, because this was a MAJOR bummer.


After St. Katherine's we were back on the bus for another three hours to Sharm El-Sheikh. That afternoon I stuck my toes in the Red Sea.


Tomorrow, snorkling.

No comments: