Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back at Cairo

Our last couple days were back at Cairo. One of our lectures was at the Arab League. (Think the Arab version of the UN.) It was pretty impressive touring the facilities.






However, during the lecture it was hard not to say "I'm sorry" on how our current administration has ignored everything the Arab League has suggested in terms of international policy. That being said, the issue of Radical Islamic Terrorism never came up. I guess both sides have some faults - with no easy solutions.

One of the highlights for our last couple of days in Cairo was going to a concert. A week prior I had ventured out to the Zamalek neighborhood. (That's were the Islamic Ceramic Museum was. A museum that has no gift shop, nor do they allow photography inside. Do these people not know how frustrating this is for me?!?) As I was wondering around, I found a fabulous bookstore, Diwan - like a little Egyptian Barnes and Noble. (Me finding a bookstore - there's a surprise! Ha!) Being in an adventurous mod, I bought a CD by Fathy Salama. (Check out his My Space page.)Low and behold he was having a concert at the Outdoor Theater of the Cairo Opera House.




In a great example of the contradictions of Egypt, his band consisted of a man wearing the traditional turban and galabeya playing the finger cymbals, along side the bass player with this "Iron Maiden" tee-shirt. I never thought I would say, "Wow, that accordion solo was amazing!" but it was. He had a fabulous singer from Algeria, Karima Nayt. (Her CD is coming out in September, you heard it here first.)






Allison and I were tickled to met him after the show. Such a great musician, and he was so nice. He wanted us to come see his show in Alexandria, or again in Cairo in August. Sadly, we're leaving on Thursday.

No comments: