Saturday, June 21, 2008

Rome, Part Two

While in Rome, we meet for dinner with Wonderful Son’s friends and their moms. It was fun to compare notes and talk about our day. We first met up near the Pantheon.

It was a very quick site. No entrance fee, there were no lines. Very much a walk in, remark: “Wow, look at that dome” and then leave. This was another site that was cool to see, but didn’t really wow me as I had expected. Maybe I was just too hot and tired, or I should have looked at this first before St. Peter’s.

Just like I’ve been telling my students for years, this building is impossible to photograph. You’re in a dome that’s 142’ wide and 142’ high. (Ok, that’s from memory, don’t quote me.) It’s like being in a bubble, with all those angles, photos just look off.

However, I did get some good ones of birds flying the oculus.

We found a restaurant close by. I had some pasta stuffed with cheese and pears with a carrot sauce. Pretty close second to the spaghetti alle pesto. The friend I was sharing this with went after that carrot sauce with bread. Maybe we stole some bread from our son’s plates to get every last drop of the sauce. Maybe we stole my son’s plate who ordered the same dish, and ate all his sauce too… I can’t recall…

No comments: