Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rome and the Camera, Part One (Late Blog Post)

The next day we went to the Coloseum and the Villa Bourgese. It was in the former where my camera lens died.

It wasn’t the zoom lens, it was the 18-55 mm lens; the one I call the “normal” lens. (Oh yeah, that’s a technical term.) I had been switching out the two lens out successfully, DH holding one for me gingerly, like we were performing a medical procedure. But then with the lens attached properly, the camera flashed “Lens Not Attached.” Why, yes it is. See? We must have attached and unattached that lens dozens of times – with the same disappointing results. It reminded me of when DH does his computer guru work, and this driver doesn’t recognize that driver, or the server doesn’t connect. (I feel my DH will read this with “No, no, don’t go there. You have no idea what you are talking about and it shows.”)

I will not pretend that I handled this well. I was lugging that heavy camera around, to museums that wouldn’t allow photos, and then when I can take photos, it dies. Sadly, I will now remember the Coloseum as being the place where my camera lens died.

After the Colosuem we went to the Villa Bourgese, yet another museum that did not allow photography. The owner at the B&B we stayed at had told us it was a small museum, but very beautiful. He was absolutely right. They had some fantastic pieces by Bernini, including his David. Between this museum and St. Peter’s I know I have to add some more Bernini to my Art History II classes – but that means I have to cut something out…

After the museum, WS’s stomach wasn’t feeling so good, and I was pretty hot and tired. DH went to check out the “Eco-Fair” that was going on in the nearby park. My DH has been interested in solar power for years now. There were all sorts of solar companies, organic farmers, electric cars… you name it. As he put it, “Honey, this is like a museum for me.”

Walking back to the room, WS and I passed a pharmacy with a time and temperature sign. It was 3 in the afternoon, and it read 37C. When you go to a doctor, and they say your temperature is 37C, that’s normal. 37C = 98F. Yikes.

No comments: