Friday, June 6, 2008

Jet Lagged


The flight was uneventful, other than being uncomfortable. The airline would not let me select my seats on-line, because I had a one-way ticket. (We are flying US Airways, but my flight to Cairo and returning to the States is with British Airways.) Thus I was relegated to one of the worse seats on the plane, the last row. There’s nothing like having your seat in the upright position and enjoying the bathroom aromas all the way to Philadelphia. The flight over to Amsterdam was somewhat better, but anytime you’re in coach, you’re sleeping like a pretzel, if you are sleeping at all.

Once we got into the airport, my “Mom-In-Charge” mode set in. However, DH pulled me back, “Let’s have the boys figure this out.” My son was going off with his two friends for 12 days and we were going to be meeting up in Rome, this little test was just to see how they could handle the basics. We got though customs, picked up our bags and then went to find the trains. (One of the boys remarks, “I love it here. Everything is in English.”) I heavily suggested that we stop at the ticket counter to buy our tickets into town, and have our Eurorail Passes validated. All four (DH included) stared at me - Eurorail Passes validated? Oh yes, someone else has to fill out the information (start date, passport numbers, etc) before you can use them. No worries, honest mistake.

Then we came to the trains. They were about to get a train heading the opposite direction of Amsterdam, and DH stopped them. Now I’ve personally gotten on wrong trains and off on wrong stations more than once, so I can’t fault the boys for making a blunder when they’re jet-lagged. We went over some basics, look for a train number, destination, etc. I’m not going to lie to you; it was a little nerve-racking saying to them, “See you in Rome!”

No comments: