Monday, June 23, 2008

Ara Pacis & National Museum (Late Blog Post)

After the disappointment of the camera shop, I went on to see some sights on our last day in Rome. High on my list was the Ara Pacis. This was a peace altar dating from 13-9 BCE, another piece that I use in my class. It’s in a new building, constructed of glass and white marble.

Sometimes when I see an artwork, I feel like a teenager who spotted a rock star and feel all giddy. “Oh my god! There’s ________!” This would be a piece that 99% of the population would think, “Gee, that’s nice.” But I loved it to death.

After soaking it in (and enjoying their air conditioning) I moved on to the National Museum of Rome. Quite honestly, I picked that museum for very practical reasons – it was on the way back to the hotel, I could get in cheap with the Rome Pass, and the guidebook said they had a nice collection of Greek and Roman Art. No photos were allowed, so I was able to check in the backpack and just enjoy the works.

And there were a ton. I felt like every corner I turned and thought “Hey! I didn’t know that piece was here!” It was just beautiful.

No comments: