Saturday, May 31, 2008

First Aid


Suzanne left an comment on the previous post, "So what kind of first aid kit are you putting together for this trip? Will you be in mostly urbanized areas or out in the remote desert? Bugs? Scorpions? Hot? Cold?"


Umm... yes.


Let's start with the hot/cold. We are starting in Amsterdam, and spending time in Lake Maggiore in Italy; highs in the 70's will be a warm day. Rome can be blistering hot, but hopefully not too torrid in mid-June. Layering will be key for this trip. However, that's pretty much how we live in Denver during the Spring and Fall, where the morning can start out in the 40's and be in the 70's by noon.


As for Egypt in July, there will be lots of hot. I have two shirts with SPF 30+ and am bringing five bottles of sunblock. (Remember, this is a redhead who managed to get a sunburn in Ireland.) Two bottles of Neutrogena SPF 85, (yes - SPF 85! Thank you God!), two bottles of Neutrogena Body Mist Sunblock (SPF 70) and one Neutrogena SPF 70 for the face. Geeze, I hope that's enough. Since I'll be in Europe three weeks prior to the Fulbright group leaving for Egypt, my roommate in Egypt was kind enough to offer to pick up any toiletries from the States for me, in case I ran out of, well, sunblock. (Did I mention that this sunblock is all for me? Son and hubby are bringing their own.)


There were some shots I had to get for Egypt, as suggested by the CDC. I've already gotten my Hepatitis A and B shots; and I'm finishing up my Typhoid pills. The Typhoid pills actually give you five years resistance compared to two years with the shot. (As if you need another reason not to get a shot.) I decided to pass on the rabies, I'll take my chances that I won't be bit by a rabid animal. The rate of malaria in Egypt is low, so I will not need to bring any medication for that.


Most of the places we'll be visiting in Egypt (and Europe) will be urban. The big exception will be Mount Sinai in Egypt. I'm trying not to think about scorpions, or Egyptian Camel Spiders, telling myself that I lived in Tucson, Arizona for six years and never got bit by any critters out there...


For medication, I'm really not bringing anything out of the ordinary. Two-months supply of allergy medicine, some anti-diarrhea medicine, Advil, Tums, band-aids, Neosporin, Air-borne, Benadryl spray and lots of hand sanitizer. I'm also a big fan of melatonin, helps with overcoming jet-lag.


Now how I am going to haul this stuff around? I was attempting to go with the Rick Steves' mode of travel with one backpack that has a zip-off daypack. Found a lovely one at REI, and then I started packing. It was not the clothes or the five bottles of sunblock that was the problem (honestly!). It was the laptop and camera - there was no way they were going to fit in the zip-off daypack, and I am not about to check them on to the plane. So that bag had to go back. I was quite relieved to see that Matt Gross of the NYTimes was bringing a wheeled duffel bag on his twelve-week trip to Europe - very similar to one currently residing in my basement. It is a large bag; last time the three of us went to Europe for ten days, we used two of them and had plenty of room. For the laptop and camera, I found a smaller backpack made specifically for a laptop, which the camera will fit in as well. Right now, I feel good about my choice, but may change my mind when I am hauling it all up three flights to get to our hotel room in Florence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a safe trip! Will you be back by the middle of August? Mellynda and I will be in Denver for a wedding.