Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bibliography



Art historians read a lot. We research and like to look at subjects from different perspectives and debate (read: argue) their merits. When I grade papers, I often start with the bibliography. If the sources are interesting, there's a good chance the essay will follow suit. In that vain, I thought a bibliography would be appropriate for my trip. What am I looking at before I go?
Now personally, I do go a little nuts with the research. I will recall books that are vaguely related to my topic just because they strike my fancy. This explains why I have a copy of Coptic Monasteries: Egypt's Monastic Art and Architecture by Gawdat Gabra amidst a whole stack of books which are part of my "To Do" list. Do I have a good pair of walking shoes yet? No. But I do have the following books at the ready.


Books which I have actually finished reading:
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Not the most academic choice, but you can't read heavy stuff all the time...)
Culture Smart! Egypt by Jailan Zayan
I will not even begin to list the Rick Steve's and Frommer's guides (plus back issues of Budget Travel) from the library.


Books I'm most likely bringing with me:
Blue Guide: Rome, by Alta Macadam.


Books I am currently reading, and may actually complete before I leave:
Miramar by Naguib Mahfouz
Books that I have, but have as much chance of reading them before my trip as I do losing 25 pounds:
The History of Egypt by Glenn Perry
Egypt: An Economic Geography by Fouad N. Ibrahim and Barbara Ibrahim (Well, I did read a couple chapters... does that count?)
I also wanted to read Orientalism by Edward Said. Plus today I met with a lovely colleague who suggested several academic articles and books by Irene Bierman.

With all of this reading, you think I would have a golden ticket to lay in the hammock and get some of this reading done. But sadly, this is the reading I really have to do:
Exams. Two classes worth. Oy-vey.


(Am I missing something in my bibliography? Let me know in the comments below.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I don't have any recommendations on the bibliography front, but if you are ever looking for gelato recommendations in Florence, I'm all set :-)

Christine said...

Yes, please! I would love to hear it!

Christine